[Taxacom] The "land plant" taxon

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 8 22:02:20 CDT 2012

Dear All,      The taxon for land plants has more than one possible name, and such names can (and have been) assigned to more than one taxonomic category.  However, in my opinion the most disturbing classification assigns all land plants to a single Class Equisetopsida (in an extremely broad sense) which is quite unlike that of the normal usage of that term.  I see that Tropicos apparently is following that extremely broad usage, but thankfully many other databases are not.
       I wonder how many herbaria which are switching to a strictly APG III classification system are ALSO adopting the extremely broad Class Equisetopsida or clade Equisetopsida (including angiosperms).  I see that wikipedia has two articles on Equisetopsida, one on Class Equisetopsida in the normal sense, and another on Equiteopsida sensu lato (here's the weblink to the latter strange usage):                   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equisetopsida_sensu_lato