[Taxacom] e-publication of EarlyView: clarification needed

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Wed Sep 12 04:12:17 CDT 2012

The notion of volume/issue and pagination is rather quaint in the digital world, and publishers are rarely in a position to assign these until the print version is assembled (if indeed one ever is).

Why the obsession with pagination? If an article is online and has a DOI then it's published. Use the DOI to refer to the article. CrossRef has tools which can take a DOI and tell you when the article went online (and, indeed, when it was printed if that's applicable), and also whether the article has been updated (see http://www.crossref.org/crossmark/ ).

Much of the discussion about digital publication seems to have the cart before the horse. Publishers are going digital only, physical pagination is less and less relevant, and articles are being given unique identifiers (such as DOIs) that provide many of the services we need. I guess we're still working this thing out, but it's time to stop treating digital publication as if it worked the same way as print.

Regards

Rod

On 12 Sep 2012, at 09:24, Stephen Thorpe wrote:

> Hi Peter,
> Then my strong advice would be to assign volume/issue and final pagination before putting articles up EarlyView. That way, nothing need change at all when the print edition happens (and I would advise against quoting the print publication date in the article itself, after the EarlyView version is up - best to just quote it on the editorial pages of the issue). Also, please note that all articles will need to be registered in ZooBank in advance of EarlyView (but not the new names), so that you can quote the LSID on the article itself, along with the online publication date (in the article itself, not just on the associated web page). During registration, you will have to nominate an online archive, but there is no actual requirement to actually archive anything!! Without following this process, nothing will count ...
> Cheers, Stephen

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy
Graham Kerr Building