[Taxacom] e-publication of EarlyView: clarification needed

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Sep 12 04:24:18 CDT 2012

I agree with Rod on this issue.  Volume, number, pagination, etc. are pieces of metadata that help uniquely identify a paper-printed work.  Having a DOI (or some other actionable identifier) is a much more effective means of unambiguously referring to a published work, so when such identifiers are available (and cited), the traditional citation metadata are much less relevant.

We're still in that awkward phase of the history of science where we are mostly using the power of the internet to emulate our paper-based model in electronic form - which only scratches the surface of the potential for electronic information dissemination and cross-referencing.  We should instead be looking for ways to leverage this potential without unnecessarily imposing the constraints of paper-based information dissemination.  Rod - I think this paraphrases a point that you had made a year or two ago.

Aloha,
Rich