[Taxacom] e-publication of EarlyView: clarification needed

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Wed Sep 12 04:54:11 CDT 2012

Dear Markku,

On 12 Sep 2012, at 10:32, Markku Savela wrote:

> On 09/12/2012 12:12 PM, Roderic Page wrote:
>> Why the obsession with pagination? If an article is online and has a
>> DOI then it's published. Use the DOI to refer to the article.
>> CrossRef has tools which can take a DOI and tell you when the article
>> went online (and, indeed, when it was printed if that's applicable),
>> and also whether the article has been updated
>> (seehttp://www.crossref.org/crossmark/  ).
>
> If you have a 100+ page monograph of something, containing
> descriptions of new taxa, what do you use to generate a
> direct link to the location within the document that contains
> the description?

I think this is a separate question. If the goal is to link a name to a publication, then we use a publication-level identifier (e.g., DOI or, say, ISBN).

If we want links to individual descriptions then there are a few options:

1. page number (if exists)

2. location in document (e.g., we could imagine using XML paths for recent articles)

3. we could imagine eventually having parts of a document having their own identifiers (PLoS does this already for figures)

4. fulltext search (if the text is available)

All of these are approaches to linking a name to a description, but I'd argue that is a different question to linking a name to its publication.

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy