[Taxacom] e-publication of EarlyView: clarification needed

Dr.B.J.Tindall bti at dsmz.de
Wed Sep 12 05:00:52 CDT 2012

If I am correctly informed the issue of volume, page, year etc. is not
directly solved by DOIs. One of the Code relevant issues relates to
the principle of priority, which relates to the order and time at
which names can be considered by the scientific community as either
being [code compliant] etc. Different articles [made available] at the
same time (lets say a weekly update of the website of the journal) may
have to be resolved by other means.

The issue is what the Codes require and how this can be addressed to
make full use of technology. DOIs are one part of the answer.

Brian

Quoting Richard Pyle <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>:

> I agree with Rod on this issue.  Volume, number, pagination, etc.
> are pieces of metadata that help uniquely identify a paper-printed
> work.  Having a DOI (or some other actionable identifier) is a much
> more effective means of unambiguously referring to a published work,
> so when such identifiers are available (and cited), the traditional
> citation metadata are much less relevant.
>
> We're still in that awkward phase of the history of science where we
> are mostly using the power of the internet to emulate our
> paper-based model in electronic form - which only scratches the
> surface of the potential for electronic information dissemination
> and cross-referencing.  We should instead be looking for ways to
> leverage this potential without unnecessarily imposing the
> constraints of paper-based information dissemination.  Rod - I think
> this paraphrases a point that you had made a year or two ago.
>
> Aloha,
> Rich

Dr.B.J.Tindall
Leibniz-Institut DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von
Mikroorganismen und Zellkulturen GmbH
Inhoffenstra├če 7B
38124 Braunschweig
Germany
Tel. ++49 531-2616-224
Fax  ++49 531-2616-418
http://www.dsmz.de
Director: Prof. Dr. J. Overmann
Local court: Braunschweig HRB 2570
Chairman of the management board: MR Dr. Axel Kollatschny

DSMZ - A member of the Leibniz Association (WGL)