[Taxacom] Electronic Publications in Zoology

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Sep 12 05:06:44 CDT 2012

I will repeat an argument that I have been trying to make since 2005:

The only sensible path into the digital future, in my opinion, is to
de-couple the "legalities" of nomenclatural availability from the vagaries
of "publication".  This is what has been referred to as the
"Registered=Available" model.  Currently, for electronically published
works, we're following the "Registered+Published = Available" model; and a
third approach, championed by Doug Yanega (Published=Registered=Available)
combines publication and registration into a single open-access journal
through which all zoological names are formally established (somewhat
analogous to how it's done for bacterial names).  A brief summary of these
three scenarios can be found here:
http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2008/f/zt01950p050.pdf; but have also been
published elsewhere.

Just think of how much simpler the 5th Edition of the Code would be if we
could dispense with all articles related to the availability of published
works for names established after 20XX (which, given estimates for total
global biodiversity, applies to the majority of all animal species on
Earth).  Of course, long before we could take that step, ZooBank (or its
replacement) would need to be much more robust, with a much longer track
record.  Even though ZooBank has been in place since 2008, we've really only
just begun that journey.

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences
Associate Zoologist in Ichthyology
Dive Safety Officer
Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum
1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252
email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org

Note: This disclaimer formally apologizes for the disclaimer below, over
which I have no control.