[Taxacom] e-publication of EarlyView: clarification needed

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Sep 12 05:15:27 CDT 2012

In zoology, pagination has no bearing on priority; nor does any of the other
citation metadata.  All that matters is when the work was published in the
sense of the Code.  Basically, this boils down to when numerous copies were
simultaneously obtainable for free or by purchase.

I agree that DOIs represent only part of the answer; but they (actionable
identifiers for published works in general; not just DOIs) represent a major
part of the answer, and also the most low-hanging fruit of the full answer.

Aloha,
Rich

> On 12 Sep 2012, at 11:00, Dr.B.J.Tindall wrote:
>
> > If I am correctly informed the issue of volume, page, year etc. is not
directly
> solved by DOIs. One of the Code relevant issues relates to the principle
of
> priority, which relates to the order and time at which names can be
> considered by the scientific community as either being [code compliant]
etc.
> Different articles [made available] at the same time (lets say a weekly
update
> of the website of the journal) may have to be resolved by other means.
> >
> > The issue is what the Codes require and how this can be addressed to
> make full use of technology. DOIs are one part of the answer.
> >
> > Brian
> >
> > Quoting Richard Pyle <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>:
> >
> >> I agree with Rod on this issue.  Volume, number, pagination, etc. are
> pieces of metadata that help uniquely identify a paper-printed work.
Having
> a DOI (or some other actionable identifier) is a much more effective means
> of unambiguously referring to a published work, so when such identifiers
are
> available (and cited), the traditional citation metadata are much less
relevant.

> >> We're still in that awkward phase of the history of science where we
are
> mostly using the power of the internet to emulate our paper-based model in
> electronic form - which only scratches the surface of the potential for
> electronic information dissemination and cross-referencing.  We should
> instead be looking for ways to leverage this potential without
unnecessarily
> imposing the constraints of paper-based information dissemination.  Rod -
> think this paraphrases a point that you had made a year or two ago.
> >>
> >> Aloha,
> >> Rich

DOI
> then it's published. Use the DOI to refer to the article. CrossRef has
tools
> which can take a DOI and tell you when the article went online (and,
indeed,
> when it was printed if that's applicable), and also whether the article
has
> been updated (see http://www.crossref.org/crossmark/ ).
> >>
> >> Much of the discussion about digital publication seems to have the cart
> before the horse. Publishers are going digital only, physical pagination
is less
> and less relevant, and articles are being given unique identifiers (such
as
> DOIs) that provide many of the services we need. I guess we're still
working
> this thing out, but it's time to stop treating digital publication as if
it worked
> the same way as print.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Rod
> >>
> >> On 12 Sep 2012, at 09:24, Stephen Thorpe wrote:
> >>

> >> Hi Peter,
> >> Then my strong advice would be to assign volume/issue and final
> pagination before putting articles up EarlyView. That way, nothing need
> change at all when the print edition happens (and I would advise against
> quoting the print publication date in the article itself, after the
EarlyView