[Taxacom] Electronic Publications in Zoology

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 05:38:52 CDT 2012

When I was a little boy, I really, really, really wanted to be a
zoologist. Now, not so much... ;)

jim

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 8:06 PM, Richard Pyle <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org> wrote:
> I will repeat an argument that I have been trying to make since 2005:
>
> The only sensible path into the digital future, in my opinion, is to
> de-couple the "legalities" of nomenclatural availability from the vagaries
> of "publication".  This is what has been referred to as the
> "Registered=Available" model.  Currently, for electronically published
> works, we're following the "Registered+Published = Available" model; and a
> third approach, championed by Doug Yanega (Published=Registered=Available)
> combines publication and registration into a single open-access journal
> through which all zoological names are formally established (somewhat
> analogous to how it's done for bacterial names).  A brief summary of these
> three scenarios can be found here:
> http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2008/f/zt01950p050.pdf; but have also been
> published elsewhere.
>
> Just think of how much simpler the 5th Edition of the Code would be if we
> could dispense with all articles related to the availability of published
> works for names established after 20XX (which, given estimates for total
> global biodiversity, applies to the majority of all animal species on
> Earth).  Of course, long before we could take that step, ZooBank (or its
> replacement) would need to be much more robust, with a much longer track
> record.  Even though ZooBank has been in place since 2008, we've really only
> just begun that journey.
>
> Aloha,
> Rich
>

> Richard L. Pyle, PhD
> Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences
> Associate Zoologist in Ichthyology
> Dive Safety Officer
> Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum
> 1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
> Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252
> email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
> http://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/staff/pylerichard.html
>
> Note: This disclaimer formally apologizes for the disclaimer below, over
> which I have no control.

Jim Croft ~ jim.croft at gmail.com ~ +61-2-62509499 ~ http://about.me/jrc
'Without the freedom to criticize, there is no true praise.
- Pierre Beaumarchais
'Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to
pause and reflect.'
- Mark Twain
of doubtful sanity.'
 - Robert Frost