[Taxacom] e-publication of EarlyView: clarification needed

Dr.B.J.Tindall bti at dsmz.de
Wed Sep 12 05:46:41 CDT 2012

Dear Rod,
Well the DOI links to a webpage that tells you the date of online
publication. The DOI itself gives you the journal 10.1111 and the
article .1365-3113.2012.00646.x (or at least a link to the article)

This is actually the link to the PDF
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-3113.2012.00643.x/pdf

It is not "free" so I can't determine whether that PDF also contains
that information.

If I cite Systematic Entomology, Vol. 37 Issue 4, October 2012 pages 686-705
that information is there, but is not immediately available from just
examining the DOI link
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-3113.2012.00637.x/abstract.

That one can gather all the information using the DOI is another
issue, but while I would still continue to refer to a work by,
authors, title, publication (book or journal, online or not), year of
publication, volume (if applicable) and pages (if there is more than
one article), can you image just providing the DOI:

dx.doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.036905-0
dx.doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.034439-0
dx.doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.033373-0

(not "free" either and the Code compliant data is in the PDF). Of
course the DOI is a reliable way of reaching the publication (or at
least the abstract).

That the DOI allows one to gather all this information is not in
dispute, but the question is whether the DOI itself contains that
information or whether it allows indirect access to that information.
These are two slightly different issues. Having said that the major
issue is how to allow Codes to benefit from the technology.

Brian