[Taxacom] e-publication of EarlyView: clarification needed

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 05:47:48 CDT 2012

I like your option 3. An ID for the protologue (or whatever you guys
call that thing) would be just perfect.

jim

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Roderic Page <r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear Markku,

> On 12 Sep 2012, at 10:32, Markku Savela wrote:
>
>> On 09/12/2012 12:12 PM, Roderic Page wrote:
>>> Why the obsession with pagination? If an article is online and has a
>>> DOI then it's published. Use the DOI to refer to the article.
>>> CrossRef has tools which can take a DOI and tell you when the article
>>> went online (and, indeed, when it was printed if that's applicable),
>>> and also whether the article has been updated
>>> (seehttp://www.crossref.org/crossmark/  ).
>>
>> If you have a 100+ page monograph of something, containing
>> descriptions of new taxa, what do you use to generate a
>> direct link to the location within the document that contains
>> the description?
>

> I think this is a separate question. If the goal is to link a name to a publication, then we use a publication-level identifier (e.g., DOI or, say, ISBN).
>
> If we want links to individual descriptions then there are a few options:
>
> 1. page number (if exists)
>
> 2. location in document (e.g., we could imagine using XML paths for recent articles)
>
> 3. we could imagine eventually having parts of a document having their own identifiers (PLoS does this already for figures)
>
> 4. fulltext search (if the text is available)
>
> All of these are approaches to linking a name to a description, but I'd argue that is a different question to linking a name to its publication.
>
> Regards
>
> Rod

>> The Taxacom archive going back to 1992 may be searched with either of these methods:

>> (2) a Google search specified as:  site:mailman.nhm.ku.edu/pipermail/taxacom  your search terms here

> Roderic Page
> Professor of Taxonomy
> Institute of Biodiversity, Animal Health and Comparative Medicine
> College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences
> Graham Kerr Building
> University of Glasgow
> Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
>
> Email: r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
> Tel: +44 141 330 4778
> Fax: +44 141 330 2792
> Skype: rdmpage
> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/rdmpage
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/rdmpage
> Blog: http://iphylo.blogspot.com
> Home page: http://taxonomy.zoology.gla.ac.uk/rod/rod.html
> Citations: http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?hl=en&user=4Z5WABAAAAAJ

Jim Croft ~ jim.croft at gmail.com ~ +61-2-62509499 ~ http://about.me/jrc
'Without the freedom to criticize, there is no true praise.
- Pierre Beaumarchais
'Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to
pause and reflect.'
- Mark Twain
of doubtful sanity.'
 - Robert Frost