[Taxacom] e-publication of EarlyView: clarification needed

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Wed Sep 12 06:13:31 CDT 2012

Dear Brian,

Here be dragons.

On 12 Sep 2012, at 11:46, Dr.B.J.Tindall wrote:

> Dear Rod,
> Well the DOI links to a webpage that tells you the date of online publication. The DOI itself gives you the journal 10.1111 and the article .1365-3113.2012.00646.x (or at least a link to the article)

No, 10.1111 is NOT the journal, it is a namespace currently assigned to Wiley (this may change if Wiley gets bought, say, by another publisher). Wiley does have a DOI for the journal, namely http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/(ISSN)1365-3113.json (it also has the ISSN 0307-6970). Most journals don't have DOIs for the journal itself.

The complete DOI is the identifier for the article, i.e. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3113.2012.00643.x

Note that you need to be very careful inferring meaning from an identifier or it's parts. They are meant to be "opaque", that is, taken as a whole. You can't simply break it into parts and expect those parts to be meaningful (that isn't to say the parts won't be, it's just that you can't assume this).

> This is actually the link to the PDF
> http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-3113.2012.00643.x/pdf

That is the current link to the PDF, but that could change. The DOI, however, won't.

> It is not "free" so I can't determine whether that PDF also contains that information.

Why does the PDF need that information? You are asking for information about a publication, which is metadata. As an aside, the PDF does contain embedded metadata stating when it was created and last modified. The last modified date (7 August 2012) is also the date it went online. You can see this metadata by going to Tools->Show Inspector in Mac OS X preview, of "File" -> "Properties" in Adobe Acrobat.

The DOI is NOT http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-3113.2012.00637.x/abstract, that is a  URL. The DOI is 10.1111/j.1365-3113.2012.00637.x

> That one can gather all the information using the DOI is another issue, but while I would still continue to refer to a work by, authors, title, publication (book or journal, online or not), year of publication, volume (if applicable) and pages (if there is more than one article), can you image just providing the DOI:

Of course you can refer to the article any way you want, but if you and I write down the title differently then we may end up with publications that look different, at least to a computer. Furthermore, journals can be renamed (often retrospectively) making it hard for future users to find a publication that uses the old journal name (never mind all the wonderful variants of a journal's name).

> dx.doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.036905-0
> dx.doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.034439-0
> dx.doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.033373-0
>
> (not "free" either and the Code compliant data is in the PDF). Of course the DOI is a reliable way of reaching the publication (or at least the abstract).
>
> That the DOI allows one to gather all this information is not in dispute, but the question is whether the DOI itself contains that information or whether it allows indirect access to that information. These are two slightly different issues. Having said that the major issue is how to allow Codes to benefit from the technology.

DOIs are the basis of how publishers most identify their publications, track citations and other use of their output, and it is how bibliographic tools mange references. Any serious attempt to deal with the literature should recognise that these are the identifiers of choice. Given that publishers are telling us when content went online in the DOI (and we could probably also get from CrossRef when the DOI was registered, why don't make use of these tools?

Regards

Rod

> Brian
>
> Quoting Roderic Page <r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk>:
>
>> Dear Brian,
>>
>> DOIs are at the level of article, so should provide the information we need.
>>
>> For example, the two articles listed today at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1365-3113/earlyview are:
>>
>> http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3113.2012.00646.x
>>
>> http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3113.2012.00643.x
>>
>> These two articles have different dates for "Article first published online" (30 August 2012 and 7 August 2012, respectively). We can get access to these dates programmatically by going to:
>>
>> http://api.labs.crossref.org/10.1111/j.1365-3113.2012.00646.x.json and
>>
>> http://api.labs.crossref.org/10.1111/j.1365-3113.2012.00643.x.json
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Rod
>>

>> On 12 Sep 2012, at 11:00, Dr.B.J.Tindall wrote:
>>
>>> If I am correctly informed the issue of volume, page, year etc. is not directly solved by DOIs. One of the Code relevant issues relates to the principle of priority, which relates to the order and time at which names can be considered by the scientific community as either being [code compliant] etc. Different articles [made available] at the same time (lets say a weekly update of the website of the journal) may have to be resolved by other means.
>>>
>>> The issue is what the Codes require and how this can be addressed to make full use of technology. DOIs are one part of the answer.
>>>
>>> Brian

>>> Germany

Email: r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Tel: +44 141 330 4778