[Taxacom] e-publication of EarlyView: clarification needed

Lyubomir Penev lyubo.penev at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 09:10:22 CDT 2012

Frank,

I fully agree that the firstly published e-version that satisfy the
Amendment  should be considered as a validly published version, but
assigning terms as "pre-print", "early-view", "author-version", or
"pre-publication" to these versions is not only awkward, it is also highly
misleading because people expect another "final" version will be published.

The amendment is quite clear in saying:

21.8.3. Some works are accessible online in preliminary versions before the
publication date of the final version. Such advance electronic access does
not advance the date of publication of a work, as preliminary versions are
not published (Article 9.9).

and

*Article 9. What does not constitute published work.* Notwithstanding the
provisions of Article 8, none of the following constitutes published work
within the meaning of the Code:

9.9. preliminary versions of works accessible electronically in advance of
publication (see Article 21.8.3);

Regards,
Lyubomir