[Taxacom] Electronic Publications in Zoology

James Whitfield jwhitfie at life.illinois.edu
Wed Sep 12 09:21:13 CDT 2012

Just for my two cents, I think the proposed registration in ZooBank or
equivalent is essential to the success of future taxonomy.  It should no
longer be about how many printed copies there are (although this was
important at the time it was proposed, despite the low bar for
availability).  As far as I am concerned, if someone publishes a taxonomic
work in a relatively obscure publication that is not widely available and
does not communicate with the larger community,it should remain obscure.
If we remotely hope to catalog the world's species, we cannot work with
describers not making their works available to all who might be
interested.  In the past it was difficult to publish things that way in
many countries, but there's no excuse any more. John shouldn't have to be
trying to figure out what printed versions there are or are not.

Cheers, Jim

James B. Whitfield
Department of Entomology
320 Morrill Hall