[Taxacom] e-publication of EarlyView: clarification needed

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Wed Sep 12 11:13:45 CDT 2012

There is also a further development, that is the use of XML to semantically enhance and link an article. This way a structure is given to an article, that for example defines where a protologue or other treatments begins and ends, what the nomenclatorial elements are, what the descricption etc. The structure is thus more than the traditional html but semantic mark up, defining the content within an element. Though there is no use of doi or aquivalent assigned to the treatments, this could, and in my view should, be done and linked to during the registration process. Right  now, a link from the treatment is included for a Zoobank LSID that is obtained during the registration process. Why not assign a doi/equivalent and add this during the registration?

All the elements for this are here and in use for several years. Zookeys (and their sisters like Phytokeys, Mycokeys, Journal of Hymenoptera Research, adopted the National Library of Medicine Archiving and Publishing Tagset that has been extended to include taxonomy domain specific elements (TaxPub NLM DTD) which allows not just publishing hard copies, html and pdf but also xml as well as automatically export particular parts of the article.
New descriptions are directly harvested by EOL, all the articles by Plazi which is the source for other harvesters. In this process, for each of the treatment a unique identifier is issues for each treatment - a process that could be done during the journal production workflow, and with that, the discussion of pagination, discovering a treatment would be resolved. It would also allow to create direct links not just to the paper, but the right content in the referred source.

Technology is here - we must make best use of it, even if this is a bit more complex then writing a html page.

Donat

P.S. A further advantage of going the NLM DTD avenue is the possibility to register the journal at PubMedCentral and with that having most likely the best guarantee for long term archiving.