[Taxacom] e-publication of EarlyView: clarification needed

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Sep 12 17:30:57 CDT 2012

Frank,
I have to disagree with this:
>i.e. the version that the publisher delivers to an archive, then it is published and available in the sense of he Amendment<
There actually is no obligation to archive anything! There is only the obligation to nominate an archive. This is perhaps the biggest "compromise" of the entire amendment ... because archiving takes time, we cannot (1) wait until it has been archived before publication (for that would slow down the rate of output of journals, when the whole idea of the amendment is to speed it up), nor (2) wait for some (indefinite) length of time after publication to verify archiving (for that would put the availability of names into limbo indefinitely until confirmation). new names are available, immediately and by definition, and permanently, from the date of publication in accordance with the amendment, which only requires that an archive be nominated ...
Cheers,
Stephen