[Taxacom] e-publication in botany/mycology

Adolf Ceska aceska at telus.net
Wed Sep 12 23:11:48 CDT 2012

PDF is required for electronic publication of scientific names of all the
organisms that are covered by ICN (formerly ICBN). As the Editor and Owner
of the reputable electronic botanical journal BEN (Botanical Electronic News
- ISSN 1188-603X - established in 1991!), I was afraid that I would have to
accept descriptions of new taxa or other nomenclatural innovations (as
Bernard Boivin called it). I did not want to have such a responsibility.

I asked Dr. John McNeill, Rapporteur-général, Nomenclature Section, who
assured me that for the valid description, the electronic journal would have
to be distributed in the pdf format.
He allowed me to post his report in BEN and you can read it at:
http://www.ou.edu/cas/botany-micro/ben/ben441.html#1
Warning: I was too fast in posting his contribution and this is the
penultimate version of the summary Dr. McNeill publish later in Taxon.

Never mind, I have been relieved, since BEN is not distributed in the pdf
format, in spite of the fact that it has legitimate ISSN number.

Adolf Ceska, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada