[Taxacom] e-publication of EarlyView: clarification needed

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Sep 13 02:22:42 CDT 2012

Dear Rod,
Dare I label you as a "technophile"? Looking at it another way, it does rather seem that we are heading towards "tabloid taxonomy", and forgetting that taxonomy is different from the other sciences, because it has an essential historical component whereby articles published centuries ago may still be highly relevant today, particularly from the point of view of nomenclature (which is arguably a vital component to meaningful communication and data management about taxa). Once again, I reiterate that e-journals are *extremely useful* in practical terms, but e-*only* journals are no more useful. To get rid of paper is to remove a safety net guarding the historical documents. It is like saying, "well, nobody has ever fallen off, so the safety net is just a waste of time..."
Cheers,
Stephen