[Taxacom] e-publication of EarlyView: clarification needed

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Sep 13 06:31:36 CDT 2012

I found this interesting:

> To use a DOI you simply append it to http://dx.doi.org/, e.g.,
> 10.1080/00222939808677978 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00222939808677978 .
> This gets you to the page for this article. CrossRef (which manages DOIs)
> requires publishers to maintain the DOI and the URL is links to. Whether
you
> have access to the article itself is another matter.

If you follow the DOI in Rod's post
(http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00222939808677978),  you have the option to
purchase a PDF of this article for US$43.00, or you can buy a PDF of the
whole issue for US$235.00 (plus local tax, of course).

Or, you can download the PDF of the entire volume (indeed, of many volumes)
-- including this article -- for free from BHL:
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/63770
or, if you prefer somewhat yellower paper:
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/53361

In this case, it seems, the DOI was somewhat less useful than the BHL site
would be.  The goal is to make this comparison obvious to end users.

Just for fun, I went ahead and registered this article in ZooBank, which
includes links to both the DOI and to the starting page for both BHL copies
(actually, four BHL links in total -- because each copy in BHL has a link to
the Item/page, and also directly to the page ID itself).
http://zoobank.org/urn:lsid:zoobank.org:pub:D449CBD5-A576-421C-9078-7BAADE21
B9ED

Rod: I could also easily cross-link it to
http://bioguid.info/jacc/0374-5481:1@308, if you think it appropriate for
such a link to be in ZooBank.

Aloha,
Rich