[Taxacom] e-publication of EarlyView: clarification needed

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Thu Sep 13 06:43:25 CDT 2012

Dear Rich,

I'd argue that the DOI is the definitive identifier. We need to separate identifiers from access. If we insist on multiplying identifiers we just make more mess.

There are multiple ways to access the article, including the DOI, the links to BHL that you gave (direct and indirect), as well as BioStor http://biostor.org/reference/52084 which extracts articles from BHL (the BioStor page includes the DOI).

One way to tackle this is if BHL and BioStor provided a way to query by DOI, so they could tell the user whether they have a version of that content. This would be straightforward for BioStor, not so much for BHL as it has no notion of articles (albeit this is being worked on).

But let's keep identifiers and access separate...

Regards

Rod

On 13 Sep 2012, at 12:31, Richard Pyle wrote:

> I found this interesting:
>
>> To use a DOI you simply append it to http://dx.doi.org/, e.g.,
>> 10.1080/00222939808677978 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00222939808677978 .
>> This gets you to the page for this article. CrossRef (which manages DOIs)
>> requires publishers to maintain the DOI and the URL is links to. Whether
> you
>> have access to the article itself is another matter.
>
> If you follow the DOI in Rod's post
> (http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00222939808677978),  you have the option to
> purchase a PDF of this article for US$43.00, or you can buy a PDF of the
> whole issue for US$235.00 (plus local tax, of course).
>
> Or, you can download the PDF of the entire volume (indeed, of many volumes)
> -- including this article -- for free from BHL:
> http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/63770
> or, if you prefer somewhat yellower paper:
> http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/53361
>
> In this case, it seems, the DOI was somewhat less useful than the BHL site
> would be.  The goal is to make this comparison obvious to end users.
>
> Just for fun, I went ahead and registered this article in ZooBank, which
> includes links to both the DOI and to the starting page for both BHL copies
> (actually, four BHL links in total -- because each copy in BHL has a link to
> the Item/page, and also directly to the page ID itself).
> http://zoobank.org/urn:lsid:zoobank.org:pub:D449CBD5-A576-421C-9078-7BAADE21
> B9ED
>
> Rod: I could also easily cross-link it to
> http://bioguid.info/jacc/0374-5481:1@308, if you think it appropriate for
> such a link to be in ZooBank.
>
> Aloha,
> Rich
>

> This message is only intended for the addressee named above.  Its contents may be privileged or otherwise protected.  Any unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this message or its contents is prohibited.  If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us immediately by reply mail or by collect telephone call.  Any personal opinions expressed in this message do not necessarily represent the views of the Bishop Museum.

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy
Graham Kerr Building
University of Glasgow