[Taxacom] e-publication of EarlyView: clarification needed

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Thu Sep 13 10:09:23 CDT 2012

Dear David,

On 13 Sep 2012, at 15:38, David Campbell wrote:

>> To use a DOI you simply append it to http://dx.doi.org/, e.g., 10.1080/00222939808677978 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00222939808677978
>
> The difficulty is that this is simple if you are a computer but not if
> you are a human, and who knows where you might end up if there's a
> typo in the string.  It's a bit like the PhyloCode advocates in the
> latest Systematic Biology trying to convince everyone that "Digitata
> Linnaeus 1759, 2:1144 [New Author] (Adansonia) RegNum-number" is a
> vast improvement over "Adansonia digitata L."

In practice DOIs are usually displayed as clickable links so you don't have to add them to "http://dx.doi.org/", and in any event I suspect people simply copy and paste them, rather than type them out.

I'm not arguing that we replace names with a phylocode-style string, but http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00222939808677978 is less ambiguous than:

R I Pocock (1898) LII.—On the Arachnida taken in the Transvaal and in Nyasaland by Mr W. L. Distant and Dr Percy Rendall. Ann. Mag. nat. Hist. (7) 1: 308-321

(and all the variations in citation style we could have for that reference not to mention how people treat the series [7], etc.). Plus the DOI also takes you to the reference, whereas it's not clear what I do with the citation string. If we use both the DOI and whatever citation style we like, we can have the benefits of unambiguously identifying the paper we are talking about, as well as having a more familiar citation string. Just check the literature cited section of a modern journal for examples.

> My experience with trying to chase down "online supplementary
> material" when a journal was bought by another publisher also gives me
> misgivings about the long-term reliability of links.

Agreed, but this is exactly the sort of problem DOIs are meant to solve ("link rot"). Increasingly journals (and scientists) are putting additional data in stable data  repositories that have assign DOIs to that data (e.g., http://datadryad.org/ )

Regards

Rod

> --
> Dr. David Campbell