[Taxacom] Predatory Open Access Publishers

Kirk Fitzhugh kfitzhugh at nhm.org
Thu Sep 13 11:46:10 CDT 2012

I'm reminded of what Stephen Stearns says in a Yale University article,
'Some Modest Advice for Graduate Students
<http://www.eeb.yale.edu/stearns/advice.htm>:' "The pressure to publish
has corroded the quality of journals and the quality of intellectual
life." Perhaps rather than complaining about 'predatory' journals, we
need to change research standards. Stop thinking that the number of
publications per year or journal impact factor are reasonable indicators
of the quality of one's research. As one fluent in philosophy of
science, I'm astounded at the poor quality of systematics research that
regularly gets published in 'high end' journals. We continue to have a
community that does not understand some of the most basic tenets of
science, e.g. the nature of inference, the requirement of total
evidence, or mechanics of hypothesis testing.

Kirk

--
J. Kirk Fitzhugh, Ph.D.
e-mail: kfitzhug at nhm.org