[Taxacom] Predatory Open Access Publishers

Kirk Fitzhugh kfitzhugh at nhm.org
Fri Sep 14 19:26:17 CDT 2012

Only because I prefer following principles that are developed well
beyond the limits of systematics thinking, such as evidential relevance
and the total evidence requirement:

"It might seem that... the observation that any particular scientific
investigation is aimed at solving a specified problem, and that the
initial selection of data should therefore be limited to facts that are
relevant to the problem. But this will not do, for the statement of a
problem does not generally determine what kinds of data are relevant to
its solution.... The notion of 'relevant' facts acquires a clear meaning
only when some specific answer to the problem has been suggested,
however tentatively, in the form of a hypothesis: an observed fact will
then be favorably or unfavorably relevant to the hypothesis according as
its occurrence is by implication affirmed or denied by the
hypothesis.... Generally, then, those data are relevant and need to be
gathered which can support or disconfirm the contemplated hypothesis and
which thus provide a basis for testing it." C.G. Hempel, 1966, 'Recent
problems of induction.'

In the scope of systematics inference, which is abductive, evidential
relevance is determined by whether or not effects in need of explanation
need to be accounted for by the same theory or set of theories. If the
same theory(ies) apply, then explaining each of the effects is relevant
to each other, for otherwise the opportunity for rationally determining
(abductive) support would be compromised. For instance, we don't take
each individual shared character and explain its occurrence to the
exclusion of all other shared characters. We know that at least some of
those other characters need to be explained in the same causal context
(e.g. 'speciation' or population splitting events), such that inferring
an explanation for one character will be relevant to the others. And
since shared characters form part of the premises of the inference, they
are part of the evidential support for the concluded hypothesis. Hence
the reason the requirement of total evidence matters, and why
partitioned analyses are irrational, and why cladograms derived from
partitioned analyses can't be compared.

Kirk