[Taxacom] Predatory Open Access Publishers

Kirk Fitzhugh kfitzhugh at nhm.org
Sun Sep 16 13:11:13 CDT 2012

Francis Bacon? What in the world does Bacon have to do with any of this? As for probabilism, lets remember that we're all involved with non-deductive reasoning, so by implication our hypotheses are not certain. Once again, identifying that we're doing what is routinely done in all sciences - seeking causal understanding - then our discussions are simply bouncing around in abductive space.

Your last paragraph refers to solving a 'taxonomic problem.' What is that problem other than to provide causal accountings for observations? Bayes won't help you here, except in speaking of our background knowledge we include in our abductive inferences. It's all really simple: If one class of effects in need of explanation have positive or negative support consequences on the explanation of another class of effects, then there is a relevance relation. Where this is most apparent is when we attempt to explain both sets of effects by way of the same sorts of causal conditions, as in those causal conditions (profoundly vague as they are) implied by those branching diagrams called cladograms. As I have said before, there is no epistemic basis for comparing cladograms explaining different sets of observations.

Kirk