[Taxacom] Predatory Open Access Publishers

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Mon Sep 17 13:11:12 CDT 2012

Oh, the subject line is not so far off-topic.

If "Phylogenetics cannot estimate monophyly," is right, then what do you
call people to say it does so, get millions of dollars from cronies at
NSF, march four abreast down the avenue of honor with rose petals tossed
at their feet by adoring students, trumpets praising how simple
evolutionary analysis is now that we have computers and axioms to run
them on, while in the distance totters a tower of tergiversation labeled
Tree of Life?

Well, can a nested set of taxa or exemplars alone reveal monophyly? What
about ((((A,B)C)D)E)? What do you need to know in addition to the
cladogram to infer monophyly?

Richard H. Zander
Web sites: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/ and
UPS and FedExpr -  MBG, 4344 Shaw Blvd, St. Louis 63110 USA