[Taxacom] total evidence

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 17:31:00 CDT 2012

I scanned Kirk's paper and most of it went over my head. But then
his argument is with other phylogenetic theorists and if he can say that
some of them don't understand what they are doing, who am I to weigh on
such issues. So in the end the operative sentence is at the end when Kirk
concludes:

"With proper application of the RTE, in conjunction with recognizing the
inferential basis of phylogenetic systematics, the common practice of
partitioning data should be regarded as unacceptable."

Well I have no problem with that when the data are comparable, which in the
case of molecular and developmental characters I would argue (and have in
publications) that they are not. So when using developmental or
morphogenetic characters I would certainly agree with combining all such
characters into a single analysis.

John Grehan