[Taxacom] The lesula

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 18 13:23:08 CDT 2012

Dear All,       When I see a paper on a species such as this, I wonder which of the so-called sister species actually came first.  Although the lesula and its "sister" Cercopithecus hamlyni may have separated roughly 2.0-2.8 million years ago, one of them could easily be a million years older (and thus the mother species of the younger daughter species).  To determine which is the mother species would require comparison with the closest relatives to the C. hamlyni-C. lomamiensis group (especially data like cranial measurements).                      --------------Ken