[Taxacom] have you seen a mutant insect with more than six legs?

Soowon Cho chosoowon at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 03:22:23 CDT 2012

Dear James, Ken, and others

Thank you for your information on extra-limb mutant insect. I am trying to
contact the first author of the paper Ken suggested but successful yet.

Yes, the picture sent from James is a similar one I found from a
plecopteran adult.

What I am curious about is how or why it happened
morphologically/genetically. Unfortunately I have little access to any good
source of papers or experts on this issue, mainly due to my lack of
knowledge in this area and in part limited accessibility to research papers.

In particular, I found very interesting that this three-leg mutation on
where it should be one hind leg shows one short, one medium, and one long
leg as if the three are mimicking fore-, mid-, and hind-legs.

Hopefully someone can lead me to an expert on this so that I can learn more
about it.

Sincerely,