[Taxacom] have you seen a mutant insect with more than six legs?

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 24 21:42:07 CDT 2012

Hi Soowon,       In today's polluted world, I would be inclined to suspect that such "mutations" are increasingly caused by direct chemical damage during development, rather than earlier genetic mutations (although the latter can themselves be due to chemical damage to genes, as opposed to damage to morphology down the line). And even before massive human pollution, there have always been mutants caused by physical damage during development that is not initially chemical in nature at all. I have no idea what your case involves, but I very much doubt that it has anything to do with mimicking fore-, mid-, and hind-legs (which I think would be something quite rare).          -----------Good luck,                                         Ken