[Taxacom] Start of online early

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Tue Sep 25 12:33:31 CDT 2012

From: "Richard Zander" <Richard.Zander at mobot.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:55 PM

> Aha. I have found the original proposal in Taxon 60: 243-286. 2011. One
> sentence (assuming they appear in the final version when published as
> ICN, is:
>
> "30.6. An electronic publication is not effectively published if there
> is evidence that it is merely a preliminary version that was, or is to
> be, replaced by a version that the publisher considers final, in which
> case only that final version is effectively published."
>
> Thus, a preprint as an early-online version is NOT an effective way to
> publish a new name. Even if there is a date on the e-publication.

***
As John McNeill communicated recently, the relevant part
of the Melbourne Code is available at
http://www.iapt-taxon.org/downloads/Melb_Code_Ch_IV_Eff_Publ.pdf

And as the website of The Bryologist shows
(http://www.bioone.org/loi/bryo), there is a complete
e-journal (with ISSN) and I see no reason not to accept
any finalized PDF, even if it appears before the journal is
complete.

For example, http://www.bioone.org/toc/bryo/115/3
this issue now has three papers, with the rest to follow.
Each finalized paper is effectively published as it appears
on-line.

Paul