[Taxacom] Start of online early

Paul Kirk p.kirk at cabi.org
Tue Sep 25 12:41:05 CDT 2012

In 50 years time PDF will be as irrelevant as the quill and abacus are today. The single most important part of the ICN[afp] is in the Preamble ('This Code aims at the provision of a stable method of naming taxonomic groups, avoiding and rejecting the use of names that may cause error or ambiguity or throw science into confusion'), and to a lesser extent the Principles (although the type method could be re-examined, imho). Nomenclature is a servant of taxonomy and the most important customers of the outputs of taxonomists are users of names outside taxonomy. The Articles basically say 'do it this way' and if anything is in conflict with that part of the Preamble cited above the Code say 'this is what needs to be done to resolve the conflict'.

Broad brush strokes ... :-)

Paul