[Taxacom] Start of online early

Kirkbride, Joseph Joseph.Kirkbride at ARS.USDA.GOV
Tue Sep 25 14:27:38 CDT 2012

Dick P.,

Having been on the Committee for Electronic Publication, I believe that we tried to set conditions that would distinguish intended publications from accidental publications. There is no way to keep someone from setting up his own journal and publishing away. There are many cases of this in botanical history. In fact this is the way that many of the 19th Century journals began. Of course like all human technology, some were miss used, and others turned out to truly valuable. I am sure that electronic publication will be the same. Some electronic publications will cherished and held up for all times as important, valuable publications, and others will be described in terms so scathing that much of it can be spoken in polite company.

Joe K

Joseph H. Kirkbride, Jr.
USDA-ARS, U.S. National Arboretum
Floral & Nursery Plants Research Unit
3501 New York Avenue NE
Washington, DC 20002-1958 USA
Tel.: 202-245-4534
Cell: 301-602-6958
FAX: 202-245-5973
E-mail: joseph.kirkbride at ars.usda.gov

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Petit [mailto:r.e.petit at att.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:54 PM
To: Kirkbride, Joseph; Richard Zander; Roderic Page; TAXACOM
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] Start of online early

Joe K.:

I fear that this is only the tip of the iceberg of problems that will arise from admitting "electronic publication" which is itself an impossible juxtaposition of words.

As there is no way to guarantee perpetual archiving of an "electronic publication" it is only a matter of time before a posting on Facebook will suffice for "publication".  Thinking about, it is probably already possible to obtain an ISSN, type up a paper on which that ISSN and the "journal name"
associated with it are used, and post it on Facebook.

Is there anywhere an explanation as to why an ISSN is so important to this new concept?

dick p.