[Taxacom] Identification key for subspecific or infrasubspecific rank of names following a binomen (ICZN Article 45.6)

Lingafelter, Steve Steve.Lingafelter at ARS.USDA.GOV
Thu Sep 27 14:59:21 CDT 2012

As I was pulling my remaining hair out today trying to interpret Article
45.6 and its subordinate parts, I was thinking that all the exceptions and
qualifications could be handled better as a dichotomous key that could be
used for making the determination of subspecies or infrasubspecies.

Are my couplets correct and will this key work for the practical purpose
of Article 45.6?

___________________________________

Identification key for subspecific or infrasubspecific rank of names
following a binomen (ICZN Article 45.6)

1a. Name includes the term "aberration", "ab.","morph", or some
modification of those words..........Infrasubspecific (not available)
1b. Name does not include the term "aberration", "ab.","morph", or some
modification of those words..............2

2a. Name was published after 1960..............3
2b. Name was published before 1961..............4

3a.  Author expressly used one of the terms "variety" or "form" (including
use of the terms "var.", "forma", "v."and
"f.")..............Infrasubspecific (not available)
3b.  Author did not use one of the terms "variety" or "form" (including
use of the terms "var.", "forma", "v." and
"f.")...............Subspecific (available)

4a. Author expressly used one of the terms "variety" or "form" (including
the terms "var.", "forma","v." and "f.")...........5
4b. Author did not expressly use one of the terms "variety" or "form"
(including use of the terms "var.","forma", "v." and "f.")...............6

5a.  Name was not expressly given infrasubspecific rank or the work did
not indicate uambiguously that the name was
infrasubspecific.............6
5b. Name was expressly given infrasubspecific rank or the work indicates
uambiguously that the name was
infrasubspecific...............Infrasubspecific (not available)

6a.  Name was adopted as valid name of a species or subspecies or treated
as a senior homonym before 1985......Subspecific (available)
6b.  Name was not adopted as valid name of a species or subspecies or
treated as a senior homonym before 1985...Infrasubspecific (not
available)

Thanks for your input.
--Steve

Steven W. Lingafelter, Ph. D.

Systematic Entomology Lab, PSI, ARS, USDA
National Museum of Natural History, MRC-168
P O Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012
U. S. A.

New Office Phone:  202-633-4560