[Taxacom] key for ICZN Article 31.2 (was key for ICZN Article 45.6)

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Thu Sep 27 16:59:33 CDT 2012

>If you're willing to share, I would be interested in your key to
>determining whether a specific epithet is adjectival or not.  I didn't
>know it was possible to make a key for that.

Not in the literal sense, but in terms of making the proper course of
action clear. People seem to find Art. 31.2 to be subject to more
interpretation than is intended, and more subject to the desires of
the original authors, as well. Read all the clauses of Article 31.2
carefully, and you'll see that only in 31.2.2 does the word "author"
appear. Even then, "adjectival use" of a word that is not an
adjective does not MAKE it an adjective. The author's usage only
matters when a name was *actually* used as either a noun or an
adjective in Latin/Greek. Show proof that a given name, spelled
*exactly* as it is in the species name, was used by Latin or Greek
authors as an adjective, if you want to claim it *is* an adjective.
PROOF, using a standard lexicon - otherwise, the spelling cannot be
changed.

The wording of this Code Article is very precise, for a reason - in
this case, specifically to nullify situations where the
interpretations of the readers, or the intentions of the authors,
either do not comply strictly with Latin/Greek rules, or are even
marginally ambiguous. I agree, it can be difficult to get past the
wording to the essence of the matter, but I made a sort of "flow
chart", for which only yes or no answers are allowed, and which guide
the reader directly to the single Code-compliant resolution for any
given name under Article 31.2:

(1) Using only a lexicon for guidance, is the epithet *unambiguously*
a Latin or Latinized adjective or participle in the nominative
singular? YES - then it will always change to match the gender of the
genus (Art. 31.2).
NO - then

(2) Is the epithet *unambiguously* a noun or noun phrase (simple,
compound, genitive), either appearing in a Latin/Greek lexicon, or by
explicit indication of the author (e.g., "I declare this to be a noun
in apposition")? YES - then it never changes (Art. 31.2.1).
NO - then

(3) Is the epithet demonstrably a word from Latin/Greek which exists
both as a noun and as an adjective? NO - then it never changes (Art.
31.2.3).
YES - then

(4) Did the author use the name in a form which can only be
interpreted as an adjective, explicitly in that it does not
correspond to any known forms of the noun? YES - then it changes.
NO - then it never changes (Art 31.2.2).

These are arranged in basically the logical sequence used in the
Code. Personally, I would invert this tree somewhat, and have any
epithet that is neither demonstrably Latin/Greek nor properly
Latinized (e.g., consider the epithets "ochraea" or ""wisconsina")
removed *in the first step*. That would take all the really ambiguous
names out of contention automatically, and make them indeclinable,
without even bothering to ask the other questions. The unfortunate
thing about this Article is that it relies upon external sources of
evidence, which may vary in their quality and thoroughness (so
different readers may come to different conclusions). It is also
unfortunate that a fair number of names which look like they are
adjectives are - if you look them up - actually nouns, despite that
people have been treating them as adjectives for decades (so if you
enforce the Code, it annoys people familiar with the
incorrectly-spelled version). In part to prevent this from prompting
yet another series of comments calling for the abolition of gender
agreement, I will point out that taxonomists can potentially prevent
such problems in perpetuity by compiling a List under the provisions
of Article 79, in which they can *arbitrarily* declare the gender of
genera to be whatever they like, and/or declare species epithets to
be adjectives (or not), regardless of whether it reflects proper
Latin/Greek grammar. This would allow people to continue the practice
of gender agreement without ever having to *argue* about any names on
that List, or forcing anyone to do any *research* beyond just reading
what it says in the List (e.g., "It says here that trochilus is a
noun."). There are ways to simplify and demystify nomenclature that
don't require wholesale abandonment of gender agreement.

Sincerely,