[Taxacom] Sinoniscus Liu and Wang

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Sep 27 22:17:01 CDT 2012

Neal,
I'm not trying to give Stefano any grief! I'm just saying that we have to be realistic. The fossil fish wasn't described in a "paper" ("danged" or otherwise!) - it was described in Chinese in a book (=bulletin=memoir). It will probably be very difficult or even impossible for Stefano to get hold of it, or understand it if he does manage to get hold of it (assuming that he probably isn't fluent in Chinese!) But, there is no real need. Zoological record have recorded it, so it exists with the relevant details. There is very little that could make a new genus described in 1978 an unavailable name, so the default assumption in this case is that it is indeed an available name. With so much to do in terms of describing biodiversity (how is the N.Z. revision progressing Stefano?), it is utterly pointless, IMHO, to worry *too much* about this detail ...
Cheers,
Stephen