[Taxacom] How to share PDF > copyright, BHL, etc.

Chris Thompson xelaalex at cox.net
Sat Aug 24 07:06:40 CDT 2013

Interesting question, Vratislav,

from a technical point, there are a number of "cloud" storage facilities now
available online so this can be done.

The issue, at least for Americans (USA) is copyright.

For most works before 1923 (what we can the Mickey Mouse date, that is, the
year that Mickey Mouse was created and, hence, under USA Law that remains
the start of copyright protection and Disney / Hollywood will never allow
that year to be changed) there is no problems and the Biodiversity Heritage
Library program is providing copies of anything before that year.

So today if you want earlier literature, it is most lively already available
on the web at the Biodiversity Heritage Library program. And while I have an
excellent personal library, I find it is FASTER to get a page from BHL than
going out and find the book!

Also, see their explanation on
http://biodivlib.wikispaces.com/Licensing+and+Copyright

Yes, there is a "Fair Use" provision for "research," but that apply only to
an individual. Yes, you can use something published after 1923 for your OWN
research, but you can not share with others, even other researchers.

Yes, all scientists need to be aware of the copy-right issue and try to make
their publications "open-access," although the Academic Publishers who try
to control the market will prevent this as they want their 40% profit
margins, etc.

Oh, well,

Sincerely,

Chris