[Taxacom] How to share PDF > copyright, BHL, etc.

Adam Cotton adamcot at cscoms.com
Sat Aug 24 07:25:50 CDT 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Thompson" <xelaalex at cox.net>
To: <bayshark at bigfoot.com>; <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2013 7:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] How to share PDF > copyright, BHL, etc.

The issue, at least for Americans (USA) is copyright.

For most works before 1923 (what we can the Mickey Mouse date, that is, the
year that Mickey Mouse was created and, hence, under USA Law that remains
the start of copyright protection and Disney / Hollywood will never allow
that year to be changed) there is no problems and the Biodiversity Heritage
Library program is providing copies of anything before that year.

Ah, thanks for explaining that anomaly. I had always wondered why the 1923
cut-off didn't advance year by year.

What remains unclear to me is why US copyright should apply to publications
on BHL from other countries, such as Germany or the UK. Is it not possible
to put those post-1923 European publications that are out of copyright under
European laws on BHL Europe, for example? Perhaps US users may technically
breach US law as a result, but non-US users wouldn't.

Adam.