[Taxacom] How to share PDF > copyright, BHL, etc.

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 17:28:18 CDT 2013

Raymond,

If you want to take very opportunity to detract your 'detractors' by
inserting into a posting on another subject then at least provide citation
(i.e. that Wuster et al claim you are a vanity publisher). Otherwise your
detraction does come across as some form a vanity or worse.

The idea of publishing free access (without incurring costs to the authors)
was a model I also introduced while at the Buffalo Museum of Science. Of
course, nothing is 'free' so the cost was staff time to format the
manuscripts (after peer review) and a $1,000 budget that allowed us to
produce a minimum of free hard copies (to libraries, authors and any other
interested parties) and then the pdf's were posted on the museum web page.
This reduced what had previously been a publication model that ran into to
many thousands. Even for such an obscure journal as this I had no shortage
of interested authors since the pdf posting made such articles almost as
prominent as if they were in some major journal since they would likely
show up on a web search.

John Grehan