[Taxacom] How to share PDF > copyright, BHL, etc.

David Patterson david.j.patterson at asu.edu
Sun Aug 25 01:07:13 CDT 2013

As many Taxacomers will be aware, we held a workshop about copyright
relating to names earlier this year. A report will be published soon.

Copyright is applicable to works that have a creative element. Facts such
as names cannot be copyrighted. Documents that follow a familiar pattern
cannot be subject to copyright. A monograph or classification or parts
thereof, while having benefitted from substantial intellectual investment,
follow familiar patterns, are not creative, and are not subject to
copyright.

As a result, we identified the following 'blue list' of elements of
classifications and taxonomic works to which copyright does not apply.

Publishers will present a different opinion, but our legal advice was clear
-  the extraction and re-presentation of these non-creative parts of
taxonomic works does not infringe copyright.

David Patterson

●       A hierarchical organization (= classification), for example species
nested in genera, genera nested in families, families in orders, and so on.
The membership and particular relationships may be original, but the
hierarchical structure is determined by convention and is not creative

●       Alphabetical, chronological, phylogenetic, geographical,
ecological, feature-based (e.g. life-form) ordering of taxa

●       Name of genus or other uninomial taxon. This may be accompanied by
an analysis and/or reasoning as to the nomenclatural and taxonomic status
of the name

●       The species epithet of a scientific name. This may be accompanied
by an analysis and/or reasoning as to the nomenclatural and taxonomic
status of the name

●       Species names as binomials, with or without the author of the name
and the date when it was first introduced

●       Scientific name of infraspecific taxon. This may be accompanied by
an analysis and/or reasoning as to the nomenclatural and taxonomic status
of the name

●       Information on correct and alternate or erroneous spellings

●       Information about the etymology of the name

●       Author(s) of taxa, with or without date of authorship

●       Rank of taxon

●       For species and infraspecific (subspecific) taxa that have been
placed in different genera, the author (with or without date) of the
basionym of the name

●       For species and infraspecific (subspecific) taxa that have been
placed in different genera, author (with or without date) of the
combination or replacement name

●       A reference or citation to the literature where the name was
introduced or changed

●       Lists of synonyms and/or chresonyms or concepts (e.g., sec
Berendsohn); may be accompanied by an analysis and/or reasoning of the
author as to the status or validity of each

●       Composition of taxon

●       Apomorphy of taxon

●       Citations of publications that include nomenclatural acts,
including typifications

●       Citations of publications that include taxonomic acts

●       Reference to the type species of a genus or to other type taxa

●       References to type material, including current or previous location
of type material, collection name or abbreviation, specimen codes, status
of type (holotype, lectotype, neotype, isotype, paratype, etc.)

●       Specimen-related data of collections examined and identified by the
author

●       References to image(s) or other media with information about the
taxon

●       Information on overall distribution and ecology, perhaps with a map

●       Known uses, common names, and conservation status (including Red
List status recommendation)

●       Description and / or circumscription of the taxon (features or
traits together with the applicable values)

●       Diagnostic characters of taxon, possibly with the means (such as a
key or illustrations) by which the taxon can be distinguished from relatives

●       General information including but not limited to: taxonomic
history, morphology and anatomy, reproductive biology, ecology and habitat,
biogeography, conservation status, systematic position and phylogenetic
relationships of and within the taxon

●       References to relevant literature