[Taxacom] Draft Checklist of the Nonmarine Arthropods of Alaska now online

Derek Sikes dssikes at alaska.edu
Tue Aug 27 13:56:02 CDT 2013

Jose,

Thanks Jose!

Smaller fixes I can do myself. Larger classification corrections are more
challenging and the topic of how best to handle such improvements is
something I've been very interested in.

It is a waste of many people's effort for a new classification to appear
with hundreds or thousands of keystroke-name changes needed, and then for
hundreds of entomologists, collection managers, etc to re-type all those
changes into their own databases.

There should be a single online classification such as ITIS or
Globalnames.org that whomever is an authority on a group can edit to update
their taxa of interest. Databases could then use that name server as a
service so that the changes would be available to all without anyone
needing to do those thousands of keystrokes to update their databases.

Arctos is soon to release a new model that does just this. It will allow
searches using various online databases of names. We as a community are
still at the early early stages of such an approach being functional for
the entire community but this seems to me to be the future. If someone
disagrees with the consensus taxonomy they can override it for their own
database but I'm sure many collection managers, for most taxa, would be
happy to press a single button to update their database with the latest
classification changes.

I'll fix that Apanteles - Cotesia species and if you send me the rest of
the suggested changes I'll see what I can get done!

-Derek

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Jose Fernandez Triana <jftriana at uoguelph.ca

--

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

dssikes at alaska.edu
http://users.iab.uaf.edu/~derek_sikes/sikes_lab.htm

phone: 907-474-6278
FAX: 907-474-5469

University of Alaska Museum  -
http://www.uaf.edu/museum/collections/ento/

Society and / or sign up for the email listserv "Alaska Entomological
Network" at
http://www.akentsoc.org/contact.php