[Taxacom] Draft Checklist of the Nonmarine Arthropods of Alaska now online

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Wed Aug 28 02:52:31 CDT 2013

And there is definitely no cure in sight, if we continue to publish dumb, copyrighted taxonomic publications in print or as pdf.

The creed should be: open access, marked-up publications that can automatically be harvested for taxonomic names (and more), at least new taxa being registered previous to the publications at the various domain specific registries (Zoobank, IPNI; Mycobank/Index Fungorum, etc.). The technology and business model is here (see the Pensoft publications Zookeys, Phytokeys, etc.).
The real goal should be that the content also shows up in the Linked Open Data Cloud so we are part of the real (now digital) world.

Right now most of us behave agnostic of the developments of the web (content), although most of us use smart phones on an hourly base (hardware).

Donat