[Taxacom] Permanent job opportunities in Biodiversity Informatics at RBG Kew

nicky nicolson nicky.nicolson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 08:46:50 CDT 2013

We've recently restructured the IT department at Kew and have formally
established a Biodiversity Informatics team. We are now looking to recruit
to fill three permanent developer roles in this team - you may have seen a
recent notice that I sent out re some project funded, fixed term roles, but
in contrast these roles are permanent. We are an active team covering the
biodiversity informatics aspects of Kew's work including nomenclature and
taxonomy (including e-taxonomy) and collections management (covering our
herbarium, fungarium, seed bank, living collection, DNA collection,
economic botany collection etc).
Details below - further information including how to apply can be found
here: http://bit.ly/17lS5iL Closing date is September 20th.
cheers,
Nicky

Kew is the world-leader in plant diversity science, a UNESCO World Heritage
Site, and a major visitor attraction, that shows the importance of plants
in all our lives. Kew’s mission is to inspire and deliver science-based
plant conservation worldwide, enhancing the quality of life.
We are looking for Developers to join the newly established biodiversity
informatics team to work across key areas including Nomenclature & Taxonomy
and Collections.

You will act as developer and technical adviser, developing and maintaining
innovative software and applications including GIS /GI tools. These are
junior posts which will allow you to develop expertise in IT, specifically,
application development. You will also be expected to develop and maintain
an overview of science at Kew, including the strategic directions being
pursued internally and competitive directions externally. Kew is an
information rich organisation with statutory responsibilities that rely on
the timely, efficient and sustainable curation of its collections and
related information assets. These roles are crucial to the delivery of
Kew’s mission.

Educated to degree level in IT/Computer Science or with equivalent
work-based experience, you will have some experience or knowledge of
working within a software development framework and of using Java and
related technologies. Knowledge of data modelling and implementation of
data driven applications are essential, as are good communication skills -
ideally you will have experience of presenting science-related technology
projects to colleagues.  A diplomatic and methodical individual with
creative problem-solving skills, you will have the ability to develop into
a recognised authority in the emerging field of biodiversity informatics.

Benefits include 30 days holiday per year, a choice of pensions, a flexible
benefits scheme as well as a great working environment.

Nicky Nicolson
Head of Nomenclature and Taxonomy (Biodiversity Informatics),
IT Department
+44-20-8332-5712
www.kew.org