[Taxacom] global species lists and taxonomy ( was Re: Draft Checklist ...)

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Wed Aug 28 13:27:25 CDT 2013

I'll jump in here, and re-title the thread, since no one seems to be
referring to the original topic any more.

On 8/28/13 1:18 AM, Robert Guralnick wrote:
> Its very
> thorny, however, as it requires not just dealing with names entering the
> system but the names, changes to names, and changes to name
> circumscriptions eg. taxon concepts separate from the name changes.

The domain-specific registries are not designed to track name changes or
circumscriptions, which are subjective (with few exceptions). The role
of subjectivity in the taxonomic enterprise is the fundamental stumbling
block - and always has been - in terms of taxonomists communicating to
non-taxonomists, and even if we had a complete registry of every name
ever published, we would have no *objective* (i.e. "definitive") way of
telling anyone how many *taxa* those names represent, OR what ranks they
should be assigned to. To accomplish this we would need to create a new
administrative entity whose task is to (1) arbitrate all cases of
taxonomic "dispute" such that a single definitive taxonomy is achieved
[look to the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group (APG) for a possible model], and
(2) make that single taxonomy available to non-taxonomists via a dynamic
"official" interface [look to Wikispecies for a possible model, but with
links that allow for instant propagation of classification changes to
all online sources]. I'm fairly certain, however, that not only would
there be insufficient financial support (to engage the services of
enough taxonomists for this to work), but that the concept itself - a
select group of taxonomists coming to a consensus about an *entire*
classification - is about as realistic as expecting to find a pot of
gold at the end of a rainbow. Even the APG is still highly controversial
after 15 years, and that covers just one part of the taxasphere, and
only a subset of the rankings therein.

Taxonomists are people, and people have ambitions and egos and careers,
and they are collectively, intrinsically, in *conflict*; fighting for
jobs, fighting for funding, fighting for *recognition*. Expecting
genuine cooperation and collaboration, or even a unified vision, seems
extremely naive. I try to imagine how to get all the world's taxonomists
to act in unison for the common good, and even the most likely scenarios
seem improbable: (1: Democracy) if, rather than having a "select group"
deciding on the official taxonomy, every single taxonomist, regardless
of discipline, was allowed a single vote (thus, participation is out of
self-interest, rather than requiring funding). This is probably
technically feasible, but people would have to *unanimously* agree to
participate AND agree to abide by the results of the voting. Given that
some taxonomists refuse to accept even the premise of peer review, I
cannot see how unanimous participation could ever be achieved, because
these folks would be unwilling to have their work subjected to a vote.
(2: Fear) if the non-taxonomists who control the funding for taxonomy
become sufficiently annoyed with being told things like "There is no
consensus as to which family that endangered species belongs to, or if
it's even a species" then they could potentially consign us to oblivion
- and the fear of us all collectively being unemployed if we can't get
our act together might sufficiently motivate people (I'm reminded of
Benjamin Franklin's famous quote: " We must, indeed, all hang together
or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately.") The problem with
this, even if it should reach that unpleasant level, is that there will
always be SOME taxonomists whose funding is secure, and they will not
perceive a threat, feel no sense of urgency, nor see a reason to
sacrifice their independence in order to help their less fortunate
colleagues.

In either scenario, there would inevitably be some taxonomists who would
absolutely refuse to cooperate, because the status quo *suits their
purposes*. The ultimate question, then, is whether - in order to achieve
a single unified classification of life - people would have the resolve
to develop and implement such a system over the objections of all those
who oppose it. If not, then any vision of a unified classification is
dead in the water, and discussion is moot. If the best we can do is to
simply list all the disputes, and tell non-taxonomists that it's up to
them to choose which classification they want to follow, then we have no
one but ourselves to blame for all the resulting antagonism, disdain,
and lack of support for taxonomy. Yes, the existence of things like the
APG do give me some hope, but it also highlights just how far we have
yet to go.

Sincerely,