[Taxacom] global species lists and taxonomy ( was Re: Draft Checklist ...)

David Campbell pleuronaia at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 15:26:37 CDT 2013

These are significant barriers to having a single classification of all
organisms, and very important to consider in projects of this sort.
However, there are also objective corrections and points of near-universal
consensus, where authoritative lists could be made.  The objective
corrections relate to taxonomic issues governed by the appropriate Code.
While points of disagreement exist, as well as those who want to change or
ignore certain provisions, as the rules stand we can say that there are
certain mandatory corrections (such as gender agreement and certain
misspellings), that objective junior synonyms should not be used, etc.  In
principle much of this could be programmed into a database, but this has
not been done frequently.

Some aspects of systematic classification also are quite generally agreed
upon.  Modern mammals are a monophyletic group relative to all other extant
organisms.  Although sorting out the precise connections of Mesozoic
synapsids is often challenging, it's safe to assume that none of them will
prove to be lophotrochozoans or angiosperms.  Some databases present
alternative classifications, allowing some nuances on the level of
agreement.

But far too often, the issues in databases are simply errors that result
from giving insufficient attention to the quality and accuracy of the
content, or inappropriate data management (e.g., confounding homonyms).
Tools to automatically capture and synthesize different opinions have
potential, but there are many pitfalls.  The current online situation, with
multiple databases that draw on each other, rapidly spread errors as well
as corrections.  Teasing out what are independent votes for a given
classification is a challenge.  Likewise, is a given source merely
repeating a classification from somewhere, or does it involve any
considered evaluation?  Worse yet, some sources are a mixed bag.  A major
revision of the scaphopods a few years ago had thorough updating of the
Recent species and also reprinted a list of fossil species that was
compiled in the late 1800's, with relatively little updating (regrettably
following the late 1800's age assignments of almost every eastern North
American Tertiary unit to the wrong epoch).

Better cooperation is desirable, and much effort is wasted on duplicate
work due to poor integration of projects.  On the other hand, there is
often no incentive to cooperate - are contributions accepted and recognized
by the database and by employers?