[Taxacom] global species lists and taxonomy ( was Re: Draft Checklist ...)

Erik Rijkers er at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 29 06:03:37 CDT 2013

On Thu, August 29, 2013 12:31, Fred Schueler wrote:

> Maybe we want to take a lesson from the physicists' ideas of infinite
> parallel universes, and program systems where all published
> classifications are represented, but with some sort of combined voting
> or weighting by the recency of publication, and wiki-style comments and
> discussion, to show users which classifications are more currently
> approved and used.

hear, hear!

IMHO, this is the only possible way to get usefully stable global lists.

It amounts to the realisation that the classification business is producing opinions (however obnoxious this may sound to
the taxonomist).

So databases should amass these opinions with plenty factual detail but without implicitly endowing any
classification-opinion with the distinction of being "fact".

It would seem this obvious way of doing taxonomical databases is not too hard to implement but I have never seen it done ,
or even acknowledged as necessary.

Erikjan Rijkers