[Taxacom] global species lists and taxonomy ( was Re: Draft Checklist ...)

Karen Cranston karen.cranston at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 06:18:15 CDT 2013

It is not too hard to implement this type of system. Both IPNI and Open
Tree of Life are currently implementing a relatively new graph database
model (database called neo4j) to load and store multiple hierarchies in the
same data structure. Then, you can traverse the graph (which contains all
of the nodes and edges, and therefore all of the conflict) in various ways
in order to summarize / resolve conflicts / find interesting patterns. You
could use algorithmic and / or human-curated approaches to annotate or
resolve parts of the hierarchy, while still keeping all of the information
from the sources. Visualization libraries like d3 make it easy to create
images or interactive tools to explore the data in the graph.

--
karen.cranston at gmail.com
@kcranstn