[Taxacom] global species lists and taxonomy ( was Re: Draft Checklist ...)

Dave Roberts workpackage6 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 08:21:19 CDT 2013

Dear all,

I fear that the comparatively greater complexity of the animals will make such an approach a considerable amount of work, or more bluntly, will be significantly hard.

With the list of names, on which so many people are labouring without, as Rich says, sufficient coordination, we also need a classification bank, a simple way to find in how many arrangements a given taxon has been placed.  That was one of the priorities identified in the Biodiversity Informatics Decadal Vision [1].

The EU's funding programme H2020 is an opportunity to create a large consortium to do exactly that level of coordination.  The problem, though, is to link it in some way to either job creation or policy making at an EU scale.  The advantage is that international collaboration (i.e. outside Europe) is likely to be more tractable in H2020.

Next week's meeting in Rome [2] is a starting point for that kind of discussion.

Cheers, Dave

[1] Hardisty, Alex, Dave Roberts, and The Biodiversity Informatics Community. “A Decadal View of Biodiversity Informatics: Challenges and Priorities.” BMC Ecology 13 (2013): 16. doi:10.1186/1472-6785-13-16.
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6785/13/16

[2] http://conference.lifewatch.unisalento.it/index.php/EBIC/BIH2013/

--

--
Dr D.McL. Roberts,        Tel: +44 (0)20 7942 5086
ViBRANT Project Manager,