[Taxacom] Multiple views, singular views, and hopelessness

David Campbell pleuronaia at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 10:20:39 CDT 2013

Part of the challenge here for the database (or whatever context) framework
is that there are several different causes and degrees of uncertainty in
taxonomy.  For example, splitting versus lumping may agree on the basic
phylogeny but disagree either on the number of categories or the
appropriate rank.  ("Rankless" classifications still rank the names by how
inclusive they are; they merely leave the category of each rank unnamed and
the selection of rank up to the whim of the individual.)  Some taxa are too
poorly studied to have a well-supported classification, whereas others are
well-studied but are difficult to place.  Different philosophy of
classification gives different names despite agreement on the units named.
For example, for higher taxa, should one use an older name with some
modification to the definition, or make a new one?  Should older
descriptive names at higher rank be replaced by typified names analogous to
what is required for familial names and below?

These different types of disagreement produce different types of
instability in classification.