[Taxacom] Multiple views, singular views, and hopelessness

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Aug 31 19:30:00 CDT 2013

To some extent I agree with Rod. Note also that maps of the world have always been quite popular, even if nobody actually "needs" one. I have seen them stuck to many an inside wall, etc. The map analogy may not be a good one, however, as, presumably the global map is just a simple synthesis of many regional ones. However, given such issues as homonymy, I suggest that a global biodiversity database is needed before we can perfect the parts out of which it is constructed. There is a feedback loop of sorts. The classification of life is intrinsically in flux, and is therefore not well-suited to the infrastructure of a biodiversity database. This is why I suggest that we use a single classification for the latter, but simply do not interpret it as "the truth", but rather as just an information management device (a "filing cabinet"). Rod has, of course, taken this to the logical extreme in past Taxacom posts, lobbying for binomials themselves to be stripped
 of any phylogenetic  "meaning". I don't think that it is necessary to go that far ...

Stephen