[Taxacom] Multiple views, singular views, and hopelessness

Fred Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Sat Aug 31 19:50:12 CDT 2013

On 8/31/2013 6:35 PM, Bob Mesibov wrote:

>  But taxonomists *are* experts in the eyes of non-taxonomists, and although you might think that taxonomy doesn't rank very highly as a science (no mega-funding, regarded as stamp-collecting by some 'hard science' practitioners), none of my taxonomic-story-telling listeners ever seemed to doubt that what I did was real science.

* the historical sciences, especially taxonomy, are the hard sciences,
because you can't do experiments, and must test all hypotheses
indirectly, which is intrinsically difficult. The term is widely misused
for the indoor or 'easy' sciences, where experiments and direct
observation make it relatively simple to test hypotheses.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad