[Taxacom] Disclaimer to avoid accidental botanical publication

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 8 20:09:12 CST 2013

Hi Anthony,
      I'm not a botanist, but if you are (in some cases) going to actually use a Latin specific name that has only been used informally, I would think there are two alternatives: (1) label it as a nomen nudum, or (2) much safer (if there is time to do so) get someone to write and insert a proper (at least minimally Code complient) description so that it is formally published in this volume.
        A more complete description could follow elsewhere, but at least you would have prevented some nobody from doing so with another Latin name (and there are probably nobodies out there who might jump at the chance).  So to be safe, no name or a properly published name seem your best options.  I would guess that the deceased author of these names would prefer to see a proper naming using his names, even if it meant a slight delay in publication.